Dried red kidney beans.
Dried beans are full of flavour and are worth the effort.
- Soak dried red kidney beans overnight or, if you don’t have much time, start them in hot water and soak for four to five hours.
- When the beans are plump, slightly softer and the wrinkles have smoothed out, discard the soaking water .
- Rinse well.
- Boil for 20 to 40 minutes without salt – before adding to any other dish.
- Again discard the soaking water, as this can upset the gut.
- Spread out on a baking tray and pop in the freezer.
- Separate into meal size portions and pop back in the freezer for use as and when required.
Please be aware that Red kidney beans are poisonous if not prepared properly.